The RIZE Massachusetts Foundation (RIZE) is a statewide nonprofit organization deeply committed to the goal of achieving zero stigma and zero deaths related to opioid use disorder. We are on a mission to save lives, reduce harm, and ultimately put an end to the opioid epidemic in Massachusetts. RIZE accomplishes this through strategic investments in impactful solutions and by engaging diverse perspectives. RIZE is building a multi-million-dollar fund that will focus on efforts to address the opioid epidemic through a full continuum of programs from prevention to long-term sustainable recovery and invest in the specific areas where more resources are immediately necessary. RIZE makes grants, commissions research, and convenes and supports learning communities to build the evidence base and inform the field. As we continue to make strides in our mission, we are seeking a passionate and accomplished Chief Development Officer to join our team.
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will play a pivotal role in our organization, overseeing the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a diverse portfolio of stakeholders, including corporate partners, private and family foundations, individual donors, corporate and government grants, and special events. The CDO will work closely with the President & CEO, board of directors, and other senior leaders in all development and fundraising endeavors. This individual will be responsible for growing engagement and revenue across each fundraising channel and creating new opportunities and partnerships. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in fundraising and relationship management and a deep commitment to RIZE’s mission.
- Strategic Planning: Develop and execute a comprehensive development plan that includes fundraising from individuals, foundations, and corporations. Formulate solicitation and stewardship strategies based on strong relationships with potential and current major donors.
- Portfolio Management: Identify and manage a portfolio of major donor prospects, cultivating, soliciting, and closing gifts. Strategically support the portfolios of the President & CEO and key volunteers.
- Board Engagement: Collaborate with the President & CEO and the board of directors to secure philanthropic commitments. Develop case strategies, plans, goals, and timelines for donors, and create a prospect assignment program that maximizes major gift opportunities.
- Cultivation and Stewardship: Identify, create, and execute unique cultivation and stewardship opportunities for donors.
- Donor Communications: Develop and implement a donor communications strategy that supports the development goals, including online giving campaigns (Giving Tuesday, year-end, United Way, etc.).
- Event Management: Oversee the production and execution of donor cultivation and recognition events.
- Grant Management: Develop and maintain relationships with funders, identify and cultivate prospects for funding opportunities, oversee grant proposals and reports, including budgets.
- Board Support: Support the board of directors to inspire the highest level of engagement and leverage generosity from networks of friends, colleagues, and contacts.
- Performance Analysis: Measure and evaluate RIZE’s development program, analyze progress, and report results.
- Database Oversight: With administrative support, maintain prospect and donor lists and oversee the fundraising database in Salesforce.
Leadership & Management
- Collaboration: Work closely with the President & CEO, serving as a key thought partner to internal and external stakeholders, including the board of directors.
- Budget Oversight: Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget, control operations to meet budgetary limits, and ensure fundraising goals and grantmaking budgets are aligned.
- Board Development: Manage the board development committee.
- Vendor Management: Negotiate contracts and manage consultants related to development and donor communications as necessary.
- Partnership Building: Identify potential strategic partnerships with business, industry, and nonprofit organizations to increase collaboration opportunities and enhance visibility and revenue.
- Representation: Represent RIZE at relevant events and engage in public issues that help increase visibility around RIZE’s mission.
- Collaboratives & Partnerships: Represent RIZE in funding collaboratives and partnerships to support the achievement of programmatic goals.
- Community Engagement: Develop strong working relationships with business representatives, individuals, community boards, advocacy and civic groups, and local government officials.
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA or graduate degree in a related field a plus.
- Passion and appreciation for RIZE’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it.
- 10+ years of progressive development experience with a consistent track record of success in closing six-figure plus gifts from individual, corporate, and foundation donors.
- Strong working knowledge of the principles and best practices of fundraising, including experience in developing comprehensive prospect and stewardship strategies.
- Strong management experience with a proven ability to train, motivate, and lead diverse fundraising staff and volunteers.
- Experience working and partnering with the President/CEO, board members, and other senior leaders.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Superb written and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and successfully as a member of a diverse community with the President & CEO, board leadership, colleagues, prospects/donors, and volunteers to achieve common goals.
- Poise, maturity, flexibility, and the ability to work as a collaborative team player are essential.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Microsoft Office.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.